We were visited by a Taiwanese TV station TVBS to interview us about our garden and compost program. Students shared their knowledge of these programs as they toured the school. This will be a great international media opportunity for us.
Archive for January 25, 2011
With Lucky Charms & Easy Cheeze in my shopping cart, I kind of wondered if I was in a supermarket twilight zone. But no- there was a point to me picking up two shopping bags of junky junk food. We are continuing this year’s amazing exploration of food in all it’s forms. While we ate fresh, local, and organic Orca produce in the fall. We now explore the deep, dark, underbelly of processed American food products. The sugar, the fat, the preservatives- we know it’s bad, but do we really know what the bad things in it are? So we are exploring Nutrition Facts, giant agri-business, and the trifecta of unholy ingredients- Sugar, Salt, & Corn. Follow us as we go on a journey. Today we picked a product from this massive pile of food products and answered some simple questions:
1. Are any health claims being made by this product? Are there any nutrition facts or ingredients being emphasized?
2. What ingredients do you feel are negative in this product? Why? What nutritional facts tell you this is not a healthy product?
3. What ingredients do you feel are positive in this product? What nutritional facts tell you this is healthy?
4. Who do you think companies are trying to sell this product to? Why?
5. Look at the product and it’s ingredients. Share your observations.